Spartan Stories

Tales from the UNCG University Archives

by Brittany Hedrick This blog post was written by Brittany Hedrick, an undergraduate history department intern who worked in University Archives in Fall 2015. As part of her internship, she also conducted two oral history interviews — one for the University Archives’ Institutional Memory Project and one for the Betty H. Carter Women Veterans Historical […]

by Erin Lawrimore On July 1, 1963, the North Carolina State Legislature officially renamed Woman’s College to The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and the decision was made that all UNC system schools would now be co-educational. But male undergraduates did not immediately arrive on the Greensboro campus. Instead, it was not until the […]

by Erin Lawrimore Until it was made co-educational in 1964, Woman’s College (now UNCG) was pretty clear in the fact that it was a single-gender institution. Male students were allowed to enroll in summer school courses and graduate programs (at least until the 1950s and 1960s when the UNC system asserted limitations over male enrollment […]

by Erin Lawrimore The institution now known as The University of North Carolina at Greensboro has undergone a number of name changes since its founding in 1891 as the State Normal and Industrial School for White Girls. Other names include State Normal and Industrial College (1897-1919), North Carolina College for Woman (1919-1932), and the Woman’s […]